Wednesday 5 January 2011

The Problem with Radley...

I was sat down on a bench on the train platform the other day and took a look at the person sitting next to me. An old lady, I'd guess in her late 70s, with one of those upright - wheely- trolley - come - bag things, a navy blue doe-skin feel quilted jacket, white wispy hair, and hanging off her arm, a Radley handbag.
From doing our marketing module last semester I've clearly subconsciously started thinking about the image a brand creates for itself in every way and the problem with Radley is that they don't follow the fashion world enough, they're not fast-paced enough, which is not normally a criticism I would make. I really appreciate designers that create pieces that don't depend on fast fashion but rather have a timeless elegance. But with Radley they've got too comfortable. Older ladies such as the one at the station are normally well-off enough to afford more upmarket, higher quality pieces, like a nice leather, Radley handbag, but other such brands appeal much less widely, an older lady would feel out of place buying a younger brand and so they maintain their 'cool' factor. It may be that Radley are happy with appealing to this age group but it's a sure-fire way of them using all their young demographic. Any sense of style or chic that someone may associate with a Radley handbag is lost when you see that little dog label hanging from the arm of an elderly lady such as the one at the station. I wanted to take a photo so as to demonstrate this, but I didn't wish to insult her. I'm sure she is perfectly lovely, and her interest indicates she may have been a fashion-lover at an earlier time in her life, but she has got to the stage where comfort far overtakes appearance; I just think that maybe Radley should realise the effect their customer is having on the image of the brand. Am I being too harsh? I don't know. But it's the thought that immediately sprung to my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment